We have been making great progress with Boat #2 and have reached an important milestone. The third strake has now been fitted so we are halfway.
This photo shows the great shed we have at RFBYC.
As soon as we finish planking and putting on the outer stems and keel we will turn Boat #2, remove the building frame and moulds and finish off both boats together.
I was sent the following link earlier in the week by The group who are building two skiffs in Warrnambool in SW Victoria.
It is worth a look!
With Boat #1 off the moulds it is time to get cracking on Boat # 2.
With the moulds already set up from Boat # 1 it was just a matter of adding the frames we had already glued together to the moulds and laminating the inner and outer stem and stern.
The setup was then carefully checked to ensure all was lined up around the centerline. A laser was used to do this which is a great advance on a piece of string because it gives a three dimensional picture of the set up.
The Laser lighting up the centre of the stern and along the floor to check that the stem is also lined up.
Boat #2 ready to go while Boat #1 looks on
It was then a matter of fitting the hog and bevelling both it, the frames and the stem and stern.
Steve Ward scribing the bearded line onto the apron.
We also offered up the garboard and checked it was sitting comfortably on the frames and stems before scarfing and glueing it together as well as its partner.
All going well we should get the garboards on next Monday.
Our first boat was wheeled out and displayed at the RFBYC Discover Sailing Day.
There was considerable interest and we were pleased to explain the building process to those who ventured down to the St Ayles shed.
It was a big night for the St Ayles building team and interested Members of RFBYC as last night we lifted our first boat off the moulds and turned her over.
Prior to the turn Steve Ward offered a traditional boat builders toast;
“There are good ships , there are wooden ships and some that go to sea. But the best ships are friendships which is how it should always be.”
Chris Bowman added his own touch by wetting the keel in Scotch to signify the Scottish heritage of these wonderful boats.
The hull was then turned over and placed on a simple dolly that Steve had miraculously knocked up late that afternoon.
Now for Boat # 2 !!!
Today we fitted and fastened off the keel and filled all the screw holes.
Steve Ward shaping the stem with the traditional boat builders tool – the adze.😀
(Well he threatened it anyway)
Boat #1 all but ready to lift off the moulds and turn over after a final sanding.
Yesterday we glued and screwed the outer stems on to the hull and glued the keel together so we could fit it tonight.
Steve Ward and Chris Bowman discussing the fitting of the stern stem.
The boat is looking looking great after a mammoth sanding session.
We plan to be ready to turn the boat on Thursday evening after mid week sailing. All Members are very welcome to Jon us.
We have finally finished the planking of Boat #1. The last plank, Port 6, was glued into place on Wednesday night. It was great that the Club’s Bosun, Nathan, who has done so much in preparing our perfect little workshop, happened to drop in just as the last clamps we’re going on.
As mentioned in the previous post Charles Colvin has started the oars. He insisted that I got a feel of the oar in its early stages. We have sourced some very nice Oregon and Charles is doing a great job so we should have some great oars for the boats.
The next stage is to fit the keel and outer stems. This should be finished by next Wednesdsy so we plan to have a turning over party next Thursday evening. We will ask Brian Cain to invite the bar to wander down to the shed after Thursday sailing results to give us a hand.
Today we glued on Strake 5 on the starboard side and prepared the port one for tomorrow.
We also temporarily placed Stake 6 on and got the first idea of how she was going to look after the planking was finished.
If all goes well this will happen on Wednesday night.
Charles Colvin started building the oars today but banned me from showing any photos of his techniques in case they leaked to RPYC.
Another excellent day at the St Ayles’ shed.
Strake 3 – both sides – were fixed in position and so we now are half way through the planking.
We also scarfed and glued both strake 4 planks that will be finally glued in place tomorrow night. In addition we scarfed both plank 5s which we can glue up tomorrow night in preparation for the Wednesday team.
We have developed the technique were we temporarily screw a plank on and then use it to fit the following plank. We then take it off to prepare and then do the final fix while other members of the team glue the scarfs on the following plank so they will be ready for the next session.
We also had a visit today from a member of the Men’s Shed in Augusta who are seriously considering building a St Ayles. If all the potential boats that we know of go ahead, we will have 8 boats this time next year in Western Australia. Watch out Tasmania!